- Yoga is a great form of exercise for people of all ages and physical abilities.
- Beginner yoga poses include child’s pose, easy seat, tree pose, and down dog.
- Benefits of yoga for beginners include increased strength and flexibility and reduced stress.
- Visit Insider’s Health Reference library for more advice.
Yoga began in India thousands of years ago and has become increasingly popular in the Western world over the last few decades. It uses a series of movements, breaths, and/or
exercises to strengthen the body and ease the mind.
And you don’t have to be an expert to reap the rewards. In fact, a 2015 study of beginner yogis in Hong Kong found an hour-long Hatha yoga session once a week for 12 weeks increased strength and flexibility.
Yoga can be practiced in-person either at a studio, gym, or recreation center or virtually with online videos. When starting out, opt for a gentle class like restorative yoga, and let the teacher know you’re a beginner so they can modify poses, says Maria Santoferraro, a yoga teacher at multiple studios in Vermillion, Ohio.
Here are 10 easy yoga poses for beginners:
1. Easy Pose
This pose strengthens back and abdominal muscles while stretching the hips and groin.
How to do it:
- Sit on the floor, with your legs out in front of you.
- Cross your shins and slip each foot under the opposite knee.
- Rest your hands on your knees.
2. Child’s Pose
Child’s pose stretches the back, hip, and arm muscles as well as calms the nervous system.
How to do it:
- Kneel on the floor, with your knees wider than your hips, and toes pointed and together.
- Stretch your arms out on…